Kenneth I. Strauss, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Translational Science & Molecular Medicine
Teaching Faculty, MSU Neuroscience Program
Mailing Address & Contact Information
Translational Science & Molecular Medicine
Michigan State University
College of Human Medicine
333 Bostwick Ave. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
|Institution||Field of Study||Degree Earned||Year|
|Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA||Biochemistry||A.B.||1981|
|Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, PA||Molecular Biology & Biotechnology||Ph.D.||1990|
- Animal Studies: Lab animal survival surgeries (rats and mice), CNS injury models (trauma, ischemia), behavioral recovery paradigms, in vivo antisense, in vivo microdialysis, development and validation of new methods.
- Pharmacology: Neuropharmacology, Drug pharmacokinetics: formulation, route of administration, blood and CNS levels, Pharmacodynamics: mechanisms of action and bioavailability, Behavioral pharmacology: hormones, neuroprotective and antiviral drugs.
- Molecular Biology: Cloning, promoter analyses, mutagenesis, transgenic mice genetic engineering, DNA:Protein interactions, transcription factor binding analyses, one- and two-dimensional electrophoretic separations and analyses, immunoblotting, development and validation of new methods.
- Quantitative & Analytical Chemistry: Assay development and validation, protein and lipid biochemistry, nucleic acids biochemistry, protein structure-function analyses, column chromatography, liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, development and validation of new methods.
- Cell Biology: Brain histopathology, immunohistochemistry (neural & inflammatory markers), microscopy (fluorescence colocalization, light & dark field), primary cell culture (neural, immune), subcellular fractionation, cellular and molecular responses to viral infection.